Tuesday, May 22, 2007

Mass Email

I apologize for the mass email (if you didn't already know, my family is large to say the very least), but I've realized that no matter how I do this, someone always gets inadvertently left out. So I am going to try this and add any names I may have missed, so please feel free to forward this along to anyone, and or let me know if someone needs to be added, as I will be sending updates until I figure out a better way (probably a blog or something). Anyway ... I apologize to those who have heard my plans over and over, but I'm really excited, so it probably won't be the last you'll hear about it either :)

Like I've said before, I'm flying by the seat of my pants, so this could all change drastically over the next year, but I will do my best to keep you all up to date on what's going on. So here's what I know now for sure: I have finally made my flight reservations and paid the deposit for my TEFL Course in Thailand (TEFL stands for Teaching English as a Foreign Language, and after the 4 week course I will be certified to teach English almost anywhere in the world). I fly out of San Fran at 1:35AM on July 30th ... And then I'll come back whenever I feel the need :) I'm going to be living in a tiny fishing village in the gulf (Ban Phe, pronounced Ban Pay). I'll be living at the school in a dorm type situation, but I'll have my own room, and there are only two showers with hot water in the building (eeek!) But the school is very close to the beach and a little island called Koh Samet (apparently a very hot vacation destination). After I finish the course, I'll probably move, because Ban Phe is so small, but I have no idea where yet. I'm hoping to make a friend (or many friends) during the course and we'll figure out a place to go together. I'm leaning towards Chiang Mai, because I've only gotten raving reviews from those who have been there, but it's in the North and no where near the ocean, and frankly, I don't know if I could live that far away from the beach (ugh, I'm so spoiled).

Love you all!
Emily

Here's a little about Ban Phe (copied and pasted from my TEFL Course website):

Location
Ban Phe is a sleepy and quaint fishing village 180 km south of Bangkok, and perfectly situated along the beautiful beaches of the Gulf of Thailand. This coastal village is a friendly one, and offers a direct view into the daily life of the local Thai people. Several excellent Thai and seafood restaurants and many great shopping venues can be found throughout Ban Phe.

The pier in Ban Phe is a gateway to the incredible island of Samet. This beautiful island is only a 30 minute ferry ride from town, and has something for everyone - from fun-filled beaches with jet skiing and live music, to tranquil, secluded spots where one can enjoy the sea, sand and sun in complete privacy. Ko Samet is also a great place to do some trekking and discover the wide variety of plant and animal life in Thailand.

This pine forest national park has a stretch of beach frequented mainly by Thais, the perfect escape from the many touristy beaches in the country.

Ban Phe is only an hour from the famous resort city of Pattaya, with regularly-scheduled and inexpensive van trips available. Pattaya has everything that one could possibly want, and maybe even more! Filled with open markets, shopping centers, clubs and go-go bars, Pattaya is one of the most exciting tourist destinations in the world.

And Ban Phe's close proximity to Bangkok allows for easy weekend trips for job interviews, apartment hunting, or simply a fun weekend in a thrilling city. Immerse yourself completely into the daily life of Thai culture, and begin your TEFL career in the beautiful village of Ban Phe, Thailand!

Ban Phe Climate
The climate in Ban Phe is very tropical-like, with three distinct seasons: Hot from March through May, Rainy from June through October, and Cool from November through February. Average daily temperatures throughout the year are around a warm and pleasant 27°C. Even in the rainy season, the rainfall is brief and the rest of the day is normally clear and sunny.

Ban Phe Costs – In USD
Ban Phe is a very inexpensive place to live!
Review these sample costs to see what we mean:
Hot meal 1.00
Bottle of beer 1.20
Bottle of water 0.20
20-minute motorbike taxi ride 0.50

No comments: